Digital Marketing comprises all marketing activities that use online-based and technological channels in order to advertise services and products.
Digital Marketing is the promotion of products, services or brands using digital technology via the internet. A wide array of online channels is used to address the target group at the right time and in the right place. The range of digital places includes all mobile devices from laptops to tablets to smartphones.
The starting point for most companies is their own website, where information, blog posts, e-books, digital tools etc. are published. In addition, customer-relevant content is distributed via social media channels. However, there are many other tools for Digital Marketing, such as:
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) – all methods to display the website at the very top of search engine results
- Search Engine Advertising (SEA) – advertising in the form of image or text ads placed with search engine providers
- Marketing via influencers – opinion leaders and multipliers recommend specific products and brands through targeted use of social media
- Marketing via email – sending information and advertising to registered users via email
- Affiliate Marketing – a website operator provides a vendor with advertising opportunities on its site
- Content Marketing – communication strategy to draw the attention of potential customers
The aim of Digital Marketing is to generate qualified traffic in order to attract the right customers to the website. Once interest has been sparked, the lead (interested party) should be encouraged by marketing methods to make a purchase or at least to leave their contact details.
Furthermore, Digital Marketing aims to increase the user’s time spent on the website through an engaging online presence. This factor has a positive impact on the ranking in search engines, meaning the website will be listed among the first search results. Digital Marketing repeatedly spotlights the brand using advertisement methods in order to increase brand awareness.
Targeting and directly addressing customers should contribute to keeping the scattering loss as low as possible. This promotes increased customer efficiency.
Another aim of Digital Marketing is to strengthen customer retention with the help of tailor-made customer management via digital channels.
This goes to show how versatile Digital Marketing is when it comes to online promotion of products and services via technological channels.